- Contra-Tiempo - Get to Know the Company
Contra-Tiempo - Get to Know the Company
Contra-Tiempo, a Los Angeles-based activist dance theater company is coming to Des Moines in just a few short weeks! Contra Tiempo is dedicated to transforming the world through dance. Get to know the company members who will be here in Des Moines before experiencing their amazing performance live on stage.
Meet Jannet Galdamez - Rehearsal/Programming Director & Company Member
Instagram - @jgsoulbird
- Jannet has been studying salsa for the last 17 years, Afro-Cuban dance, music, and culture for the last 10 years.
- Jannet has danced with Paula Abdul, Spanish Rock Band Mana, Prince Royce, Keaira LaShea's Dance Fitness Series, the 2017 ON YOUR FEET Broadway Musical Promo Cast, and more!
Meet Ruby Morales – Development Director & Company Member
Instagram - @rubezyo
- After receiving a BFA from Arizona State University she completed Urban Bush Women's Summer Leadership Institute, The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond's Undoing Racism, and is continuously training in breaking and learning about hip hop philosophy/theory.
- She is a 2021 National Association of Latino Arts and Culture Advocacy Leadership Fellow, and a 2021 Intercultural Leadership Institute Fellow.
Meet Jasmine Stanley – Company Member & Communications Associate
Instagram - @_jstanley_
- Stanley started taking ballet when she was 5 years old in Annapolis, MD.
- In addition to dancing, Stanley worked as a full-time biochemist.
Meet Charlie Dando – Company Member & Teaching Artivist
Instagram - @d.a.n.d.o_
- Dance found Charlie at a preteen club night, where he won numerous youth battles.
- Dando was selected to perform with Rennie Harris Pure Movement for the premiere of the "Rite Of Spring" adaption, "Heaven."
Meet Alek Gabriela Lopez – Company Member
Instagram - @alek.glopez
- They are also a part of a dance company in New Orleans called FLOCK.
- They were born in Lancaster, California and raised in Tijuana, Mexico.
Meet Dalphe Morantus – Company Member & Teaching Artivist
Instagram - @international_dalphe
- He has worked with notable names in the industry including Ricky Martin, Don Omar, Daft Punk, Snoop Dogg, and Justin Bieber.
- Nowadays his work is focused on teaching people how to move their body with using groove isolations as a stepping stool to embrace their true self.
Meet Edgar Aguirre – Company Member
Instagram - @eaguirre_reyes
- Edgar is now based in California where he has been working as a freelance dance artist and choreographer.
- In conjunction with his dance career, Edgar has also embarked on the field of body work.
Though she won’t be in Des Moines, special shout out to Ana Maria Alvarez – the one who started it all.
Instagram - @anamariaalvarezct
- Her work has been presented in theaters across the country and the world, including in Germany, Bulgaria, Cuba, Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile and El Salvador.
- Alvarez was invited to join the UC San Diego Theatre and Dance Department as a tenured faculty member.
- Alvarez has been recognized with a number of awards and grants including NEFA’s National Dance Project, the National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures, LA City Department of Cultural Affairs, Los Angeles County and the California Arts Council among others.
Contra-Tiempo aims to provide performances that explore themes of social justice, identity, and culture. The dances are complex and meaningful, and build community with all who are involved. Dance offers a medium that helps them make sense of their relationships and the world as a whole.
Contra-Tiempo will be at the Des Moines Civic Center on Wednesday, November 8 at 7:30pm. Get your tickets now to immerse yourself in the wonderful world of dance and all it has to offer.
For more information and to purchase tickets Click here
All facts and photos are from: https://www.contra-tiempo.org/the-company
THE LATEST FROM DMPA
The Holidays at DMPA
Des Moines Performing Arts is here to bring you some positivity and fun this holiday season! There are so many great shows coming up, and we know they will get you in the holiday spirit.Read More