- Applause Series
The Applause Series typically delivers 60 matinee performances each year for students from preschool to high school. The cost of a ticket is just $1. That means more classrooms in more communities are discovering the power of the arts to inform and inspire.
- More than 55,000 students each year attend an Applause Series performance. For many, it’s their first experience of live theater.
- The change in learning environment is dramatic, as the Des Moines Civic Center or Temple Theater becomes the classroom.
- One-hour matinees energize young imaginations and invite new thinking about creative expression, cultural diversity, and even career options.
- Each performance includes a specially designed curriculum guide to help teachers find creative ways to connect the event with larger academic objectives.
- Pre-show lessons prepare students to better appreciate the nuances of a live performance.
- Students return to school able to explore art’s connection to history, math, science, literature, and other topics. The shared experience of the performance gives everyone a voice in the conversation.
- The Applause Series brings the world to Iowa’s school children, opening their eyes to new cultures, customs, and ideas.
- Many productions have received the prestigious Victor Award, which recognizes top shows for young audiences from around the world.
â€œIntegrating the arts allows me to bring joy and enthusiasm into my teaching. I see such a difference in my students when we have arts integration in our lesson.â€
- Dawn, fifth-grade teacher at Cattell Elementary School, Des Moines