- Applause Series
The Applause Series delivers 60 matinee performances each year for students from preschool to high school. The cost of a ticket is just $1. That means more classrooms in more communities are discovering the power of the arts to inform and inspire.
- More than 55,000 students each year attend an Applause Series performance. For many, it’s their first experience of live theater.
- The change in learning environment is dramatic, as the Des Moines Civic Center or Temple Theater becomes the classroom.
- One-hour matinees energize young imaginations and invite new thinking about creative expression, cultural diversity, and even career options.
- Each performance includes a specially designed curriculum guide to help teachers find creative ways to connect the event with larger academic objectives.
- Pre-show lessons prepare students to better appreciate the nuances of a live performance.
- Students return to school able to explore art’s connection to history, math, science, literature, and other topics. The shared experience of the performance gives everyone a voice in the conversation.
- The Applause Series brings the world to Iowa’s school children, opening their eyes to new cultures, customs, and ideas.
- Many productions have received the prestigious Victor Award, which recognizes top shows for young audiences from around the world.
“Integrating the arts allows me to bring joy and enthusiasm into my teaching. I see such a difference in my students when we have arts integration in our lesson.”
- Dawn, fifth-grade teacher at Cattell Elementary School, Des Moines