- MUSICAL THEATER CAMP...ONLINE!
MUSICAL THEATER CAMP...ONLINE!
PERFORM IN AN ONLINE SHOW!
Just because we can’t put on a typical musical right now doesn’t mean we throw in the towel. No! Join us as we prepare in one week this first-of-its kind musical entitled, THE SHOW MUST GO…ONLINE! (BBBPress.com)
- Each student will receive a script for THE SHOW MUST GO...ONLINE! sent to them in the mail.
- Each student will audition and be guaranteed a one-minute scene and/or song to rehearse.
- The entire cast will meet each day for an hour to connect and participate in group drama and other activities.
- Performers will also be assigned to 25-minute small-group coaching sessions to prepare each student to act their scene and to record their individual performance.
- By the end of the week, each student will video record their scene and upload the final version. When each actor’s segment is edited together in order, these video performances tell the story of a group of dedicated theater students who are determined to keep their yearly musical going…online!
- The recording of the show will be shared so that families and friends can watch and celebrate the week at camp!
Join us for a week of fun activities and rehearsals as we produce an online show in a week!
For students entering grades 3-8, fall 2020.
No previous acting or theater experience is required to participate.
Please register at least 6 business days before the start of your session so that camp materials may be mailed to you in time for the first meeting. If registering less than a week prior to camp start, we will do our best to get mailed materials to you in time. We will also send you script and other materials via email as a backup.
HOW THE CAMP WILL BE STRUCTURED ONLINE
Two separate casts will put together their own version of The Show Must Go...Online! each week.
- Cast A group activities will take place from approximately 9-10 AM each day, with an additional session on Monday from 11 AM to noon for auditions. Small group coaching times on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be assigned to a consistent 25-minute block between either 10 AM-12 PM or between 2-4:30 PM. Prior to the start of the week, you will fill out a scheduling poll to help us assign you to a coaching slot that works in your schedule.
- Cast B group activities will take place from approximately 1-2 PM each day, with an additional session on Monday from 3-4 PM for auditions. Small group coaching times on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be assigned to a consistent 25-minute block between either 10 AM-12 PM or between 2-4:30 PM. Prior to the start of the week, you will fill out a scheduling poll to help us assign you to a coaching slot that works in your schedule.
SECTIONS, DATES, AND TIMES
- Week 1, Cast A: June 15-19. 9 AM daily start for group activities; Monday 11 AM auditions. - SOLD OUT
- Week 1, Cast B: June 15-19. 1 PM daily start for group activities; Monday 3 PM auditions.
- Week 2, Cast A: June 22-26. 9 AM daily start for group activities; Monday 11 AM auditions.
- Week 2, Cast B: June 22-26. 1 PM daily start for group activities; Monday 3 PM auditions.
- Week 3, Cast A: June 29-July 3. 9 AM daily start for group activities; Monday 11 AM auditions.
- Week 3, Cast B: June 29-July 3. 1 PM daily start for group activities; Monday 3 PM auditions. - SOLD OUT
*Additional sessions in July may be added as demand warrants.
We will be using Zoom. To successfully participate, you will need a laptop, tablet, smart phone or computer with a webcam (internal or external) and reliable internet connection, plus an additional device to play your song's accompaniment track from during coaching sessions, if applicable. Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about your ability to participate due to a lack of access to technology.
- We ask that a parent or other adult help your child log on each day and be readily available should your child need additional assistance with technology.
- We also ask that all MUSICAL THEATER CAMP...ONLINE! participants have easy access to crayons, colored pencils, or markers, as well as age-appropriate scissors. Any other needed physical materials, such as the script, will be mailed to you in advance.
MUSICAL THEATER CAMP...ONLINE! carries a registration fee of $125.
Please check out details on our SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM if financial assistance is needed to allow you to participate.
Scholarship applications should be submitted BEFORE registering.
Due to the short timeframe of the camp and the intense rehearsal schedule, partipation in the culminating performance is dependent on full attendance throughout the week. Missed rehearsals may necessitate that a participant give up his or her role for the success of the overall production.
Please clear your student's schedule of any appointments or conflicts for your selected week of camp, and be sure to communicate with camp staff if an emergency arises.
In the event that you are no longer able to participate, please submit notice of your cancellation to email@example.com.
Written notice of cancellation must be received two weeks prior to the first date of your camp or class in order for a refund to be issued. Refunded tuition will be minus a 6% processing fee to cover expenses associated with your original booking.
If a cancellation is submitted less than two weeks prior to the camp or class start date, a refund will only be issued if we are able to move a waitlisted student into the vacated spot.
Des Moines Performing Arts reserves the right to cancel classes and camps due to insufficient enrollment without incurring obligation. If a class or camp is canceled by Des Moines Performing Arts, you are entitled to a full tuition refund.
If your preferred session is full, please add your name to our wait list by clicking HERE and indicate your child's age and which session(s) you are interested in attending. We will contact you if a space becomes available or if additional sessions open in July.
For questions contact Karoline Myers at 641-750-3943 or Sarah Florian at 515-720-0095.
REGISTRATION OPENS TO THE PUBLIC:
Tuesday, May 19, 2020, at 9 AM
â€œIntegrating the arts allows me to bring joy and enthusiasm into my teaching. I see such a difference in my students when we have arts integration in our lesson.â€
- Dawn, fifth-grade teacher at Cattell Elementary School, Des Moines