DO YOU ENJOY SHARING YOUR LOVE OF THEATER?
BE A CAMP COUNSELOR AND SWING at DES MOINES PERFORMING ARTS!
WHO? 9th graders through students entering college (Fall 2022) who love all areas of musical theater.
WHAT? Volunteer with Des Moines Performing Arts as Swings/Camp Counselors for 2022 summer musical theater camps for grades 3-8.
- As a swing--prepare different parts in a musical and perform them should an actor miss a rehearsal or performance or if a group of young performers needs support. Learn from our professional instructors!
- As a camp counselor--For musical theater camp, lead and guide younger musical theater students as they put on an entire musical in one week, plus assist with makeup, workshops, rehearsals, and final performance.
WHEN? Musical Theater Camp runs for six week-long sessions at the Temple for the Performing Arts, downtown Des Moines. Daily hours are 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Apply for one week, two weeks, or all six!
WHY? Keep doing what you love and share your passion with others. Hours for volunteer programs such as Silver Cord are available.
QUESTIONS? Email LynnaeL@DMPA.org
COVID-19 considerations: Guest and staff safety is our priority.
MUSICAL THEATER CAMP Volunteer:
The musical theater camp season runs weekly sessions from mid-June through the end of July at the Temple for the Performing Arts, 1011 Locust St, Des Moines. Please indicate the weeks you could be available on the application. Volunteer hours are 8:15 AM - 4:15 PM Monday through Thursday; 8:15 AM - 6:45 PM Friday.
- June 13-17
- June 20-24
- June 27-July 1
- July 11-15
- July 18-22
- July 25-29
If selected to serve as a swing/camp counselor you will be required to attend a training/rehearsal on either Wednesday, June 8, 2022, and/or Thursday, June 9, 2022, from 9 AM to 5 PM. If you are unable to attend the training, please make note on the application form.
Complete the Online Application Form.
- If your are a returning swing, please indicate on the application form. You will need to submit your contact information; the dates you are available; and the name, email, and phone number for a parent.
- If you are a first-time swing applicant, have the following materials ready when you begin filling out the application form:
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION: Your contact information; the dates you are available; and the name, email, and phone number for a parent.
2. STATEMENT OF INTEREST: 50-150 words
Why are you interested in working as a swing/camp counselor this summer? What do you bring to the position?
Provide a short list of your performance experience from high school. possibly middle school, and with DMPA camps. Also, please list any experience working with children.
4. OPTIONAL: VIDEO AUDITION of 30 seconds or less
Submit a short video of you singing a song from a musical, "Happy Birthday" or any short, appropriate song. Upload the video to YouTube and include the link on your application. Keep the video simple. A recording from your phone is fine, no editing needed. With or without accompaniment is also fine. The biggest thing is we want to hear your voice to see how you bring a song to life, especially if you would like to be assigned swing parts from the show.
5. REFERENCE: Contact information
Provide the name, email and phone number of an adult who can speak to your theater and/or leadership skills. A reference could be a current or past teacher, current or past employer, supervisor, adult co-worker, clergy, etc. References may not be family members or minors. Please alert your reference to let them know that they may be contacted.
Screening of applications will begin as applications are submitted. The summer camp coordinator may contact applicants via email or phone to schedule a follow-up interview if they are selected to move forward in the search process.