Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards
TECH INTENSIVE 2019 - For both directors and students!
Friday, September 13, 2019 | Des Moines Civic Center
A FREE one-day seminar focused on sharing best practices, answering your burning questions, and relevant workshops topics.
Each participant will be able to sign up for a track in one of the following technical theater areas*:
- Stage Management
*Please note, tracks are subject to change.
TO REGISTER, see your musical director!
TECHNICAL, CREATIVE AND BUSINESS ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS
Students serving in technical, creative and business roles may apply to be considered for an award to recognize their contributions to their school musical productions. For more information on what areas or roles can apply, what students need to do to be considered for an award, and how to apply, please see the Technical, Creative and Business Achievement Awards Application Overview document.
Portfolios deadlines are based on school musical performance dates as follows:
- September through November productions – Portfolios due by December 2, 2019 at 4 PM
- December through March productions – Portfolios due by April 6, 2020 at 4 PM
- April and May productions – Portfolios due by April 27, 2020 at 4 PM
While the primary focus of the Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards is to celebrate student achievements, adults also make tremendous contributions to school drama programs and make a lasting impact on students. The Impact Award is a student-nominated award presented to an adult who leads and/or supports their school’s productions. This award provides an avenue to recognize educators or community members, such as parent volunteers, who go above and beyond to support the high school musical experience.
To be considered, a current student or group of students must complete the nomination process online. If submitting a nomination as a group of students, please identify one student to serve as the primary contact for the nomination. All nominations must be completed and received by March 27, 2020.
The nomination process consists of the following components:
- 1-2 page essay written by the nominating student describing how the nominee goes above and beyond to make a positive impact on students’ experience in their high school musical.
- Written testimonials from three to six individuals who have worked directly with the nominee on one or more school musical production(s). Testimonials may come from, but are not limited to: current high school students, alumni of the school’s drama program, production staff, other adults that work on productions with this mentor, school administrators, parents. Each testimonial should be no more than 300 words.
Nominations should be submitted online HERE.
TECHNICAL THEATER SCHOLARSHIP
Sponsored by Doug & Debbie West
The Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Technical Theater Scholarship is open to students advancing their theater training as a technical theater major or minor. Annually, one student will be awarded a $10,000 scholarship to be applied towards tuition at an accredited college/university. The scholarship is to be distributed $2,500 per year, renewable for up to four years pending qualifying academic status.
For more information, portfolio elements, and how to apply, please see the IHSMTA Technical Theater Scholarship Overview document.
All application portfolio materials are due FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2020 by 5 PM. Late applications will not be accepted.