Music Director/Assistant Director
MUSIC DIRECTOR/ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Des Moines Performing Arts seeks a dynamic, highly qualified Music Director/Assistant Director for its Summer Camp Programs. The position invites emerging professional music directors enrolled in graduate programs or equivalent experience to collaboratively lead a series of musical theater-based performance camps for young artists in grades 3-8.
Music Director/Assistant Director will be responsible for:
- Participating in production meetings and camp planning prior to start of sessions
- Auditioning participants and assisting Director in casting decisions
- Leading music rehearsals
- Facilitating daily skill-based workshops outside of rehearsals
- Providing piano accompaniment/vocal parts during rehearsals
- Assisting the director as needed with blocking, student coaching, and giving notes
- Creating a safe and supportive atmosphere for participants to explore, grow, and create
Required skills and experience:
- MA or MFA candidates preferred, Bachelors in music required
- Demonstrated ability to teach vocal music
- Previous experience working with youth
- Rehearsal-level piano proficiency or higher
- Excellent communication, organizational and facilitation skills
This position will begin early June 2019. Applicants must be available a minimum of 40-45 hours per week. The position will conclude early August. Stipend provided. Possibility of housing assistance, for non-local candidates.
Please submit your cover letter/letter of interest, resume and online application at http://www.desmoinesperformingarts.org/discover-des-moines-performing-arts/careers.php. No compressed files, please. Candidates may be asked to provide samples or a portfolio to further demonstrate qualifications at a later point in the process.
Applications will be reviewed beginning February 22, 2019.
Des Moines Performing Arts’ Summer Program offers excellent practical experience for early-career Directors and Music Directors with an interest in working with youth to develop their educational theater and production skills.
Des Moines Performing Arts is an equal employment opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal law, all personnel actions such as compensation rates, benefits, job changes, company-supported training, educational tuition assistance, screening and interviewing processes will be administered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability or any other legally protected class.